Volunteer in Africa
Are you looking for a way to make a difference in the world, gain new experiences and training, see new career possibilities, do something different, get away from the normal grind, be adventurous, share your faith, or have you always had a secret desire to see Africa? We can help you achieve any and all of those goals.
Neema Village is located in the beautiful, East African city of Arusha, Tanzania. Neema House Inc, now doing business as Neema Village, is a registered NGO in Tanzania and a 501(c)3 nonprofit registered in the US. We care for abandoned, orphaned and at risk babies. Over two hundred babies have found love and life at the Neema baby home. To see the baby’s pictures and read their stories go to the “Neema Babies” button above. We need all kinds of talents, from film making, painting, teaching, building, physical therapy and nursing to just holding and cuddling babies who need lots love.
You can volunteer for up to one month. A one to two week stay is recommended. After all, this is Africa and it will require a lot of adjustment on your part. (To volunteer for longer than one month will require evaluation and approval from the Neema House directors.)
At this point, December 1, 2018, we are unable to take more volunteers for June and July 2019. We are FULL! Sorry, but please select another time for which to apply.
All volunteers over the age of 18 are required to purchase a volunteer visa, regardless of their length of stay, unless you have been otherwise instructed by the volunteer coordinator. The volunteer Visa will cost $200 to $250, depending on where you are coming from. After you have applied to volunteer at Neema Village and have received permission from our volunteer coordinator to plan your trip and come, you will receive additional instructions about getting your volunteer visa.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age or be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
What we provide our volunteers:
- Accommodations in an inexpensive ($550 US dollars per month. If staying less than one month, the price is $150 per week), spacious and beautiful volunteer house separate from the baby home, but within the Neema Village compound, with all the charm that is Africa and only a one minute walk to the baby home. Provided: Washing Machine, dryer, microwave, stove, fridge, bedding, towels, etc.
- Our volunteer house has a cook/cleaning lady Monday thru Friday. Safina is a great cook and will provide your breakfast and the evening meal. We have a varied menu which includes eggs, toast, cinnamon rolls, etc. for breakfast, and stew, hamburgers and frys, spaghetti, etc. for dinner. The morning chai and mid-day meal are provided while on duty at Neema, but snacks and eating out are on your own. Most volunteers spend about $150 to $200 for extra food and eating out per month. Remember it is Africa and many of our meals at Neema are African style, rice and beans, ugali and vegetables and luscious fruit. There are many good restaurants in Arusha.
- Training, supervision and support are also provided.
- Driver and transportation is provided while on duty at Neema. Some volunteers use the inexpensive Dala Dala (minivans) for personal trips to town. Piki Piki (motorcycle taxis) are strongly advised against.
- Safe, secure grounds with an electric fenced yard and 24 hour guards on the property.
- Help with scheduling game park visits. The world famous Serengeti and Ngorongoro National game parks are a short drive from Arusha.
- Internet, shopping and things to do close at hand.
Get in Touch
If you are interested send an email to: email@example.com. Please do not try to communicate about volunteering through Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Viiber, WhatsApp or any other messaging system. Please use regular email only.
How to Apply
To apply to volunteer at Neema Village you will send in your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then wait for your application and dates to be approved. If you do not receive a return email within 2 weeks, remember it is Africa, and try again. Once you are approved you will send in a $100 deposit which will hold your bed space in the volunteer house. You will not be reserved to volunteer at Neema until the $100 deposit is made. Wanting to come is not the same thing as coming!